Comprehensive Dental Exam in Arlington, VA
It’s said that the best place to start is at the very beginning, and with dentistry, it all begins with an initial comprehensive dental exam. That’s the place where we lay the groundwork for any future recommendations, and that’s where we get a good close-up view of your teeth and gums. Your journey to dental health starts with a thorough examination.
What’s involved in a comprehensive exam?
You may think that a comprehensive dental exam consists only of a cleaning and a look at your teeth. Actually, there’s quite a bit more to it than just that.
An initial comprehensive dental exam includes the following:
- Obtaining a written record that details your medical/dental history, including a listing of all current medications.
- A thorough oral cancer screening, both visually and digitally (using the fingers), checking all of your lymph nodes, lips, tongue and the insides of your mouth and cheeks.
- A series of diagnostic X-rays that provide a comprehensive view of your teeth and condition of your bones.
- An occlusal exam, to check for bite problems (underbite, overbite, crossbite), worn teeth, and jaw problems, such as TMJ.
- A periodontal examination, which includes a thorough screening and assessment of your gums – to check for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Additionally, a meticulous tooth-by-tooth check to identify cavities, examine prior treatment and restorations and the current condition each, locate any chipped, cracked or missing teeth, or identify any work that needs to be performed.